[Openstack] [Nova] Networking changes and quantum

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Sun Jul 8 00:33:36 UTC 2012

> L3 + Floating IPs are being added to Quantum in F-3 (got bumped from F-2).

So, I should wait until L3 and try again, but in quantum?

> I haven't looked at your patch in detail, but it seems like you're looking
> to notice when a floating-ip is allocated or deallocated, and use that to
> trigger a change to the configuration of an external BGP daemon.

Yes, on a per network-node basis. Also, rather than binding the IP to
the public network device, it should bind the IP to lo (to avoid arp
issues). Binding the IPs to lo is likely doable without any changes,
though.

> Assuming that's the case, I'd much rather we take the approach of creating a
> notification API that would let you build this functionality as an external
> component process that feeds off of notifications about floating IPs being
> allocated and deallocated.  We're looking at something similar for DHCP as
> well. This let's people implement custom functionality without having to
> modify the core code and config files.  We have a blueprint to add such a
> notification framework to Quantum (likely based on work in Nova), but at
> this point, but its not clear when this will land (likely depends on whether
> it is used for DHCP improvements in F-3 or not).  If you're interested in
> helping out with it, let me know.

Well, I can write this as a plugin, based on the plugin code in
openstack-common. I thought this was a useful enough change to go in
core, though. If everything in quantum is going to be a plugin, I'm
more than happy to have this as a plugin.

When do you expect this API to be available? I plan on backporting my
work to nova for diablo and essex, but I'd like to make sure I have
this upstream in the right place, and in the preferred way.

- Ryan