[Openstack] new locations for some things

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Jul 2 23:02:33 UTC 2012

Hey all!

(It must be a busy day - I'm writing you all so many emails...)

A little while ago, after chatting with Anne Gentle, we started
publishing the sphinx documentation to
docs.openstack.org/developer/$project  ... instead of to
$project.openstack.org. That went really well and we're happy about it
... but we didn't put in any redirects from the old locations because we
still had tarballs to content with (which we uploaded to
$project.openstack.org/tarballs)

That's fixed now - we now have tarballs going to
tarballs.openstack.org/$project, docs going to
docs.openstack.org/developer/$project, and redirects from the old
locations to the new locations.

While doing this, we added a couple of features.

First of all - client libs get their own dir, so there should be no
confusion there.

Secondly, in addition to the normal per-commit tarballs, we're now
publishing tarballs of the form "$project-$branch.tar.gz" which will get
overwritten with each commit - that way, if you need to track trunk from
a pip-requires file, (such as ceilometer, which needs to track nova
trunk) you can simply plop in something like
http://tarballs.openstack.org/nova/nova-master.tar.gz  - and it'll work
for both pip installs AND easy_install/distutils based installs. Yay!

Finally, we've got code landing that will properly publish documentation
for tagged revisions to a subdir ... so when nova gets tagged 2012.2 -
there will be a docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/2012.2 dir with those
docs in it and they will not change over time.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Monty