[Openstack] [Docs] new "DocImpact" notifier flag

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Jul 2 14:35:30 UTC 2012

Hi all -

Greetings from sunny-with-intermittent-thunderstorms Ohio! I wanted to
let you all know of a new way to integrate docs with the development
process - the DocImpact flag. Thanks to the CI team's diligence, you
can now add "DocImpact" to your commit messages, anywhere in the
message, and changes with "DocImpact" in their commit messages
automatically send an email to the openstack-doc-core team with a link
to the review site as soon as the patch set is pushed to Gerrit.

I'd like you to use this flag in these cases:
1. You're pushing a commit with documentation contained in the patch set.
2. You're pushing a commit with a new option or change in the default
option or default behavior.
3. You're pushing a commit with a new feature that requires
documentation. Ideally you'll work with the doc team to figure out a
doc plan.

Sending a commit with this flag doesn't guarantee doc will be written
- but it does enable us to prioritize the incoming changes. Generally,
I don't want this flag to be used to throw a doc task over a wall,
there are no walls here, we're all in this together. :)

Thanks CI team (Clark Boylan especially) for the assist.

Anne

P.S. I'm on vacation this week - but I will add this flag usage to the
HACKING file when I get back (unless someone wants to beat me to it.)
:)