[Openstack] nova/puppet blueprint, and some questions

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 27 19:47:30 UTC 2012

On 1/27/12 4:49 AM, Belmiro Moreira wrote:
> The idea of integrating nova with "configuration management tools"
> (puppet, chef, ...) is very interesting. But in my opinion we
> shouldn't have a specific implementation to a single tool or a small
> set of tools.
Yep, I'm increasingly convinced of this.  I'm planning to rewrite the
proposal as an abstract package configuration tool with a driver model
(so that the choice of puppet/chef/whatever can be handled depending on
the driver.)

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/configuration-drive
Right on!  That feature is exactly what I need.  Is it available via KVM?

> What you have in your screenshot is really interesting but it seems
> very similar to other tools already implemented to manage puppet
> modules, ex: "Foreman".

Sure.  But, again, I think having this information available to (and
configurable by) nova will be much more useful than grafting a separate
tool onto the side of openstack.

-Andrew