[Openstack] Question on i8ln?

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 13 22:37:53 UTC 2012

On 2/13/12 3:58 PM, Eric Windisch wrote:

> I'm guessing that you're looking at this from a developer's
> perspective rather than a support and operations perspective.
> Developers will understand English, but the operations and especially
> the support team may not. Having native language log messages has the
> potential to significantly decrease support costs for users both
> domestic and abroad (where domestic users might outsource support).

The one thing I consistently use log messages for is googling.  If
everyone in the world gets the same log message for a given error, that
drastically increases the chances that I'll find that log message in a
forum post someplace.  Doesn't localizing log messages fragment the
world of support forums into a zillion language-specific shards?  (Full
disclosure:  I speak English, so this argument may be an unconscious
front for Yankee Imperialism.)