[Openstack] Development ML

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:25:48 UTC 2012

On 02/07/2012 04:49 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Jay Pipes wrote:
>> So, the topic of multiple mailing lists has come up before and we've
>> even tried topical mailing lists before, but the amount of traffic on
>> them tends to be too low for it to be worth the extra ML subscription.
>> I've also made the argument before that with a general mailing list
>> (this one), you get a wider audience and people that may not always get
>> excited about distribution specifics may be exposed to important
>> discussions, learn something new, and in general just be made aware of
>> the state of a particular subcommunity by scanning/skimming emails.
>
> I agree that topical development MLs are not worth it...
>
> That said, I think it's time to split development discussions from
> user/operations questions. Over the recent months with more people using
> OpenStack the volume of non-development-related emails has reached a
> level that makes it difficult to parse. As an example, I read all the
> development emails, while I only read the rest of the emails based on
> topic -- separating the lists would be a great help for me. The
> audiences are slightly different too.
>
> The risks are that (1) non-development topics end up in the development
> mailing-list anyway, and (2) developers ignore the non-development ML.
> In order to mitigate those risks, I propose that we create a new
> openstack-dev mailing-list, only for development discussions (new deps,
> blueprint discussion, FFEs, packaging, core-dev proposals...).
> Everything else should remain on the usual list, including governance
> discussions, usage discussions, community events etc.
>
> Creating a new list should avoid most of risk (1), and we should just be
> careful to redirect non-development-related topics to the other ML if it
> still happens. Developers should still be subscribed to the usual ML to
> catch up with all the other openstack topics, which should avoid most of
> risk (2).
>
> What do you think ?

I'm not a fan of multiple mailing lists given our experience in the past
with fragmented discussions... I still don't think the amount of traffic
on the mailing list is particularly cumbersome, but maybe I'm a minority
in that regard. I appreciate having all my OpenStack ML threads in a
single ML.

Best,
-jay