[Openstack] two or more NFS / gluster mounts

Diego Parrilla Santamaría diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 16:07:58 UTC 2012

mmm... not sure if the concept of oVirt multiple storage domains is
something that can be implemented in Nova as it is, but I would like to
share my thoughts because it's something that -from my point of view-
matters.

If you want to change the folder where the nova instances are stored you
have to modify the option in nova-compute.conf  'instances_path':

If you look at that folder (/var/lib/nova/instances/ by default) you will
see a structure like this:

drwxrwxr-x   2 nova nova   73 Dec  4 12:16 _base
drwxrwxr-x   2 nova nova    5 Oct 16 13:34 instance-00000002
drwxrwxr-x   2 nova nova    5 Nov 26 17:38 instance-0000005c
drwxrwxr-x   2 nova nova    6 Dec 11 15:38 instance-00000065

If you have a shared storage for that folder, then your fstab entry looks
like this one:
10.15.100.3:/volumes/vol1/zone1/instances /var/lib/nova/instances nfs
defaults 0 0

So, I think that it could be possible to implement something like 'storage
domains', but tenant/project oriented. Instead of having multiple generic
mountpoints, each tenant would have a private mountpoint for his/her
instances. So the /var/lib/nova/instances could look like this sample:

/instances
+/tenantID1
++/instance-0000X
++/instance-0000Y
++/instance-0000Z
+/tenantID2
++/instance-0000A
++/instance-0000B
++/instance-0000C
+/tenantIDN
++/instance-0000A
++/instance-0000B
++/instance-0000C

And in the /etc/fstab something like this sample too:
10.15.100.3:/volumes/vol1/zone1/instances/tenantID1
/var/lib/nova/instances/tenantID1 nfs defaults 0 0
10.15.100.3:/volumes/vol1/zone1/instances/tenantID2
/var/lib/nova/instances/tenantID2 nfs
defaults 0 0
10.15.100.3:/volumes/vol1/zone1/instances/tenantIDN
/var/lib/nova/instances/tenantIDN nfs defaults 0 0

With this approach, we could have something like per tenant QoS on shared
storage to resell differente storage capabilities on a tenant basis.

I would love to hear feedback, drawback, improvements...

Cheers
Diego

 --
Diego Parrilla