[Openstack] [swift] RAID Performance Issue

David Busby d.busby at saiweb.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 10:32:51 UTC 2012

Hi Zang,

As JuanFra points out there's not much sense in using Swift on top of raid
as swift handel; extending on this RAID introduces a "write penalty" (
http://theithollow.com/2012/03/21/understanding-raid-penalty/) this in turn
leads to performance issues, refer the link for write penalty's per
configuration.

As I recall (though this was from way back in October 2010) the suggested
method of deploying swift is onto standalone XFS drives, leaving swift to
handel the replication and distribution.

Cheers

David