[Openstack] Nova Compute Showing XXX on Compute Node

Daniel Parker dcparker88 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 16:43:45 UTC 2012

Hey guys,

I have two servers, one controller and one compute node. Everything is
working on the compute node itself except for nova-compute. I have
verified ntp is installed on both servers. Nova.conf is the same on both
servers, except I added --network_host= on the compute node. Here is the
output of nova-manage service list:

Binary           Host Zone             Status     State Updated_At
nova-consoleauth host3                             nova enabled    :-)
2012-12-13 16:34:23
nova-cert        host3                             nova enabled    :-)
2012-12-13 16:34:23
nova-scheduler   host3                             nova enabled    :-)
2012-12-13 16:34:23
nova-compute     host3                             nova enabled    :-)
2012-12-13 16:34:26
nova-volume      host3                             nova enabled    :-)
2012-12-13 16:34:23
nova-network     host3                             nova enabled    :-)
2012-12-13 16:34:24
nova-cert        host1                             nova enabled    :-)
2012-12-13 16:34:31
nova-scheduler   host1                             nova enabled    :-)
2012-12-13 16:34:31
nova-consoleauth host1                             nova enabled    :-)
2012-12-13 16:34:31
nova-compute     host1                             nova enabled    XXX
2012-12-12 19:53:18
nova-volume      host1                             nova enabled    :-)
2012-12-13 16:34:31
nova-network     host1                             nova enabled    :-)
2012-12-13 16:34:31

I have a suspicion that it got corrupted in the service table somehow -
it was working originally and I was able to spawn an instance on it.
However, that instance is now 'terminated' but still appears in my
dashboard. Any ideas? I can post the logs if needed.

Let me know if you need anything else and thanks for any help you can
provide.

-Danny