[Openstack] [swift] Operational knowledge sharing

Caitlin Bestler Caitlin.Bestler at nexenta.com
Mon Aug 13 16:36:46 UTC 2012

Greg Holt wrote:

> Followup note: Though briefly mentioned by John, I like to emphasize this also affects COPY (or PUT with X-Copy-From) requests,
> and #1 (upping the lb timeout) is really the only solution unless we go crazy and implement async requests with status checks.
> Well, another weird solution is to have Swift return useless response bodies very slowly as a keep alive. :)

I'm not sure it's worth the compatibility hassles, but why would periodic "Progress" returns that could be translated into a client status bar be "useless"?
If the operation takes long enough for network elements to forget about the connection then any human user will certainly be wondering what's going on as well.
Of course the challenge would be to introduce periodic feedback in a way that did not break existing automated clients and scripts.

Perhaps an option for periodic status reports?