[Openstack] [glance] legacy client removal and python-glanceclient

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 13:59:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> For the case of shell scripts using the old glance client, the
> installation path for the old and new glance CLI tools is different, so
> in theory, if you wrote a shell script that used the old glance client,
> then installed the new python-glanceclient, you could simply edit your
> shell script to point a glance variable to the absolute path of the old
> glance CLI executable.

Not sure that the installation path is different, both "glance"
scripts end up in bindir and e.g. both openstack-glance and
python-glanceclient RPMs in Fedora Rawhide provided their version of
/usr/bin/glance.

So before "glance" is removed from openstack/glance (in folsom-3 if I
understood correctly?) I did a workaround to avoid the conflict:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/python-glanceclient.git/commit/?id=845a9a6466e84f7868504e22a5b89f716705ea27

I assume Glance folsom packages in Debian/Ubuntu have the same conflict ?

BTW devstack "solves" this by clever overwriting:
+# Do this _after_ glance is installed to override the old binary
+setup_develop $GLANCECLIENT_DIR

Cheers,
Alan