[Openstack] Inbound connectivity and FlatDHCP networking

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 2 14:35:35 UTC 2012

> Traffic from vm to vm on different hosts should be able to go accross flat_interface

Okay, that makes sense.

> Getting inbound connectivity over fixed_ips can be tricky. It looks
> like you want to set up a specific range from vms that is not
> snatted. there is a config option for this called dmz_cidr. Anything
> in the dmz_cidr range will not be snatted.

With a multi_host, flatDHCP model, is the general idea that fixed_ips
are -- generally -- internal to the compute host, and all external
access is supposed to be via floating ips?  That's sort of how it
looks, but I hadn't seen that states explicitly anywhere.

> fixed_range=10.0.0.0/16
> dmz_cidr=10.1.0.0/16

How does fixed_range interact with networks created via 'nova-manage
network create ...'?  There are a few bugs (e.g.,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/741626) that suggest things need
to be specified in both places.   Is that correct?

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>       |
Senior Technologist                                | http://ac.seas.harvard.edu/