[Openstack] nova-network configuration options, and endpoint questions

Samuel Winchenbach swinchen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:10:56 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I have been tasked with creating an openstack cloud on a cluster at the
University of Maine.  Here is a rough diagram of the planned network
network setup: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22341705/network-layout.jpg
wher XXX.YYY.ZZZ is the upper portion of our public, routable IPs.

Here are some (what I am sure) basic questions about how I should
configure the network:

1) What is the purpose of my_ip and routing_source_ip?  In this example
should my_ip=10.20.0.1 and routing_source_ip=XXX.YYY.ZZZ.226? Obviously
this would only apply to cloudy correct?

2) is it possible to specify floating_range as a range of addresses?
Our block of floating addresses does not have a valid CIDR notation.

3) What is the recommended binding for endpoints?  For node1 ... nodeN
it seems the public/internal/admin endpoints will all be on the
10.20.0.0/16 network.  For cloudy are there any services that should
have endpoints on the XXX.YYY.ZZZ.0/24 network?  For example it seems
like having the ec2 compatiblity service on the public network might
be useful for tools such as hybrid-fox.  Is it good practice to bind
all admin urls to the managment network?

Thank you for the help, I am sure a lot of these questions come from
a lack of experience actually using openstack (or cloud based computing
in general).   If you have any recommended reading material, faqs,
guides, screencasts, stone tablets, etc. that you find useful I would
really appreciate it if you post them.

Sam