[Openstack] [glance] legacy client removal and python-glanceclient

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Wed Aug 1 18:37:29 UTC 2012

As a rule of thumb, we need to start doing proper deprecation on all public interfaces, whether that's a CLI, client method signatures, APIs, etc. It's a little late for this on the old vs. new glance client/CLI (unless Brian feels the work can be reasonably done to make them compatible) but it's something we need to be really mindful of going forward.

As a community we've tacitly made an N+1 promise of compatibility, so changes like this would ideally support both code paths in Folsom and raise a DeprecationWarning on the old one, then be completely removed in Grizzly. If we wanted to be even nicer to people relying on these public interfaces we'd move towards an N+2 timeline and start with a PendingDeprecationWarning in Folsom, escalate to a DeprecationWarning in Grizzly, and finish with complete removal in H***.

All the best,

    - Gabriel