[Openstack] raw or qcow2

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 15:11:41 UTC 2012

On Apr 25, 2012, at 7:44 AM, Lorin Hochstein wrote:

> Since we're talking snapshots, quick doc-related snapshot questions:
>
> - Are snapshots only supported on qemu/kvm, or do they work with other hypervisors as well? (Does Xen support qcow2 images?)

I was speaking about libvirt/kvm, but the xenapi driver also supports snapshotting and uses vids internally

> - Does OpenStack do anything with snapshots other than using them to generate new images? I was a little confused by the existence of the "Snapshots" pane in Diablo Horizon. I originally thought snapshotting was just a qemu/kvm implementation detail about how nova created a new image from a running instance, so I didn't understand why there was a "Snapshots" pane in addition to an "Images" pane.

In this case snapshotting refers specifically to turning a running instance back into an image so that it can be used to launch new vms. The internal parts are implementation details of this process.

Vish