[Openstack] Image API v2 Draft 4

Justin Santa Barbara justin at fathomdb.com
Tue Apr 10 19:10:10 UTC 2012

Our XML support isn't good enough to be helpful.  The reality is that our
XML support is an afterthought, so we're not getting those extensibility
and validation benefits anyway.

People want APIs that work.  As a Java programmer, I'm perfectly capable of
talking to XML, JSON, ASCII or HPSTR.  The one thing I can't interface with
is a buggy implementation.

Everything gets hidden in a library anyway.  We now have a Java library; I
believe it is the only statically typed & only XML binding out there.  As
more and more bugs are discovered in the XML, it becomes less of an XML
binding and more of a JSON binding.

As a concrete example, the namespace for extensions changed late in Essex.
 Some of the public clouds still use the old namespace, some use the new
namespace.  The easiest fix was to move those extensions to JSON.  Security
groups have whitespace problems with XML => JSON.  Floating IPs don't work
with XML => JSON.  Key Pairs don't seem to work with XML => JSON.

In contrast, while Glance doesn't work with XML, it took me 30 seconds to
say "use JSON for all glance calls", as opposed to figuring it out one bug
at a time (hours of work).