[Openstack] OpenStack Satellite

Bryan Taylor btaylor at rackspace.com
Wed Sep 28 04:25:15 UTC 2011

It's way deeper than just "marketing". The idea is to encourage the
community that creates complementary functionality to OpenStack to be more
organized and to stay close to the main OpenStack community, and vice
versa. The lines blur between these communities because you just can't
deploy a cloud in a vacuum and so any operator that deals with OpenStack
is going to have integration needs.

Joel Spolsky has a great article about how all products have substitutes
and compliments. When people evaluate you against your substitutes, they
do so by comparing the entire system, and so your complements have to be a
central part of the strategy. So either you commoditize your complements,
or if you can't you partner and collaborate. I see satellite as the
vehicle for both.

On 9/28/11 12:03 AM, "John Dickinson" <me at not.mn> wrote:

>So you're looking for a place to point marketing? We already have
>http://openstack.org/projects/ (which has a long list on it) and the wiki
>has plenty of space to add new pages, if necessary. However, the original
>proposal is not about a marketing landing page to promote an openstack
>ecosystem. The original proposal
>(http://summit.openstack.org/sessions/view/3) is about a place to
>centralize code for various projects that consume openstack core projects.
>
>To be clear, no one is arguing against promoting a diverse openstack
>ecosystem (or a way to find what's in that ecosystem).
>
>--John
>

>On Sep 27, 2011, at 10:51 PM, Bryan Taylor wrote:
>
>> That's an impressive list. I haven't heard of half of them, which
>>answers your question.

This email may include confidential information. If you received it in error, please delete it.