[Openstack] ImageTooLarge: Image is larger than instance type allows

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 26 12:39:07 UTC 2011

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011, darkfower wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (nova.rpc): TRACE:     raise exception.ImageTooLarge()
> (nova.rpc): TRACE: ImageTooLarge: Image is larger than instance type allows
> (nova.rpc): TRACE:
>
> image size biggest 20GB ? why ?

You need to change the 'local_gb' for the instance_type if you want to
accommodate a larger root disk.

http://padl.lv/851301 has some more information.

Use 'nova-manage' to modify the instance type with the 'instance_type'
sub-command.  I'm pretty sure you can't modify a type other than by
deleting and re-adding.
nova-manage instance_type create --flavor=0 --memory=512 --local_gb=2
--swap=512 --cpu=1 --name "m1.xsmall"