[Openstack] Glance formats supported?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 19:56:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering how these different types of formats supported by glance @
> http://glance.openstack.org/formats.html will be workable with nova-compute.

Just an FYI, Glance does not (currently) do any inspection to ensure
that what the user is registering in Glance is in fact the disk or
container format that the user says it is.

> It seems like most examples I see are using precreated ami/ari/aki images. I
> haven’t seen a lot of examples using say an iso, or a ovf container. Has
> anyone been successful with those when creating a vm?

XenServer supports OVF images, and I believe Rackspace teams have
tested with OVAs. You can see some basic discussion here:

http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment#Instance_Management

Cheers,
jay