[Openstack] Fwd: Load Balancers for Swift Proxy-servers ----why Pound ?

Kuo Hugo tonytkdk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:28:46 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kuo Hugo <tonytkdk at gmail.com>
Date: 2011/9/19
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Load Balancers for Swift Proxy-servers ----why
Pound ?
To: Chuck Thier <cthier at gmail.com>

Hello  Chuck ,
That's really good response for us .
I would love to do some more test .
If we have more considerations will share to you.
After all , Does any suggestion of separative each workers into different
bare-metals?
We has only Proxy-node / Auth-node / Storage-nodes ...
Could it possible to isolate more workers for better performance ?
It seems quite busy of each storage-nodes . As I know , Object-server &
Account-server & Container-workers should in same host(saw in Cactus Admin
manual).  am I right ?

I believe this discussion will help more stackers on choosing SLB even
entire architecture design.

Thanks

2011/9/19 Chuck Thier <cthier at gmail.com>

> Howdy,
>
> In general Nginx is really good, and we like it a lot, but it has one
> design flaw that causes it to not work well with swift.  Nginx spools
> all requests, so if you are getting a lot large (say 5GB) uploads, it
> can be problematic.  In our testing a while ago, Pound proved to have
> the best SSL performance over a 10G link.  There are a couple of
> things that would be interesting to test that have come out since the
> last time that we did testing:
>
> 1.  Encryption offloading to the newer Intel chips with it built in.
> 2.  Yahoo's Traffic Server has since become better documented.
>
> Interesting .....

> --
> Chuck
>
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 6:47 AM, Kuo Hugo <tonytkdk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello , Stackers
> > I'm interesting about the reason of Pound as SLB(software Load balance)
> in
> > Swift docs.
> > Most articles talk about the performance of SLB , and Nginx seems the
> winner
> > of SLB battle .
> > Lower CPU usage / lots of connections etc....
> > Does Pound has better performance for Swift ?
> > And if there's a clear comparison table would be great , really confusing
> > about that ..
> > In my study , Pound using 7 times of cpu usage than Nginx of SLB in same
> > conditions .
> > btw , most of articles just using HTTP instead of HTTPS.   Does Pound
> better
> > than Nginx under HTTPS?
> > Cheers
> > Hugo Kuo