[Openstack] Community metrics, developers' engagement

Stefano Maffulli smaffulli at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 18:59:23 UTC 2011

Hello folks,

in the next weeks I would like to start collecting some relevant data
about the OpenStack community. One of the reasons for this effort is
to understand it and communicate it to the outsiders better.

There are lots of dimensions we can track: usage, awareness,
developers engagement and more. Some efforts are already ongoing
tracking awareness and usage, with the weekly report published
semi-regularly on the blog.

I would like to discuss with you ideas for other things you would like
to see measured with regards to developers engagement in the
community.

here are a few things I think can be useful to measure regularly:

* discussions on the mailing lists
    # of threads and messages
        top writers and company's affiliation

* IRC discussions,
    top contributors, most common words

On the code side, we may want to start tracking, for each project:

    # of forks, commits, reviews, "watch" (in github lingo)
        authors and their affiliation
        contributions in changesets and lines of code
        (more or less what Jonathan Corbet did with the kernel)

    # of bugs filed, opened, closed, reviewed
        people that acted [open|review|close] on bugs

    # of blueprints in the different status
        people that acted on them

As developers, are there any other dimensions that you would like to
see measured?

thanks
stef