[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Sep 8 16:23:26 UTC 2011

On 09/08/2011 05:18 AM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2011, at 2:27 AM, Chris Behrens wrote:
>>
>> I say this for future decisions.  At the moment, Gerrit is what was
>> chosen and I'm just interested in seeing if we can alleviate some
>> of the pain my team is having working with it.
>>

> I still believe that we can get the best of all worlds by writing a
> little connector daemon that will automatically scan pull requests
> and submit them to gerrit with a change id, update gerrit if the pull
> request changes, even update them with feedback from the review and
> close them when they merge.  It might take some doing, but I don't
> think it is impossible.

We actually have this as a todo list item, and I believe it's on
someone's plate.

Currently, we have a little daemon that watches pull requests and closes
them with a message telling people how to submit to gerrit - just so
that we don't cause confusion with no feedback. The next step of having
that create the gerrit review instead is certainly doable (although I
think there are a few semantic questions to be answered about username
mapping and so on)

All of that to say - yup.

Monty