[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Wed Sep 7 19:34:24 UTC 2011

Johannes Erdfelt <johannes at erdfelt.com> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011, Sandy Walsh <sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM> wrote:
>> ... and that's only from my first few days using Gerrit.
>
> I'd also like to add that the when merges fail, it's not easy to figure
> out why.
>
> I had a proposed branch the was approved and then failed to merge. I
> received a handful of emails (4?) that were mostly indecipherable.
>
> I finally managed to figure out there was a merge conflict, but not
> before trying to figure out what PEP8 failures there were.

We heard that feedback from early testers so we created a job that tests
whether the merge succeeded or not, and configured it to leave an
informative message so that developers could quickly identify the
problem.  I'm open to suggestions on how we could make the wording more
clear.  Currently it says:

  This change was unable to be automatically merged with the current
  state of the repository. Please rebase your change and upload a new
  patchset.

Here is a recent change where you can see this in action:

  https://review.openstack.org/#change,190

> This may be more of a Jenkins problem however.

Indeed, merge conflicts are not unique to Gerrit.

-Jim