[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 16:21:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Kevin L. Mitchell
<kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 11:59 -0400, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> > So far as I know, there's no requirement that someone have merge
>> > authority on a project in order to comment on pull requests.  Do cores
>> > have direct access to the openstack repos right now, and if they do,
>> > what's to stop them from merging pull requests into trunk?
>>
>> No. Gerrit and Jenkins own the canonical repos, and that's the whole point.
>
> And, as long as anyone can comment on the pull requests, there's no need
> for this to change—you have hubcap/jenkins owning the canonical repo
> instead of gerrit/jenkins.  So what's the problem?

The problem is that instead of spending time coding on features and
bugs for Nova, Glance, Swift and Keystone, a bunch of devs are instead
spending time working on an alternate solution to what has already
been decided by the PPB, discussed publicly, and coded on for months
by my team.

Frankly, this whole situation hearkens back to when everyone except a
few folks on the Titan team was griping about Launchpad and Bazaar,
saying that they "couldn't get anything done with these tools", except
for some on the Titan team which just adapted and ended up being very
productive using LP and Bazaar. If you guys would give Gerrit a chance
and try to work with the toolset, instead of constantly going off and
trying to make everything "just GitHub", I think we'd actually be able
to get more done.

Just my two cents. You can probably tell I am quite frustrated with
this debate going on *yet again*.

-jay