[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 17:52:43 UTC 2011

I actually didn't plan on responding all that much on this
conversation. We had months of discussion and debate about this, weeks
upon weeks of discussion in the PPB about project autonomy and
tooling, and the decision has been made.

I find it a bit unfortunate that all the people saying Gerrit is
terrible and that we should just use GitHub haven't done a single
review or change request in any of the projects that are currently
using the Gerrit/Git toolset that has been decided will be used for
core OpenStack projects.

The coarse status granularity of GitHub's pull request is a
non-starter for automated patch queue management and a gated trunk.
Period. Solutions such as roundabout and hubcap must use hacks such as
looking in review comments for one or more "lgtm"s to determine if a
commit is approved to be merged. This is not a robust solution and is
prone to errors.

I might also add that the integration functionality that Gerrit has
with Launchpad (automated bug status updating, automatic blueprints
status tracking/updating) is very good. The CI team keeps all the code
for this integration work here:
https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ci. For those of you who have
never actually worked with Gerrit, and are complaining about how
terrible it is, I would suggest working through a simple change
request and patch review workflow for the OpenStack CI project and
provide some useful suggestions on ways it can be improved. Lots of
things, including the user interface, can be modified and improved. I
look forward to seeing your energy and enthusiasm for these matters
transformed into productive and helpful change requests for the code
in the OpenStack CI project.

Cheers,
jay