[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Sep 2 07:09:54 UTC 2011

Sandy Walsh wrote:
> Last night I did some hacking on HubCap. HubCap is a simple script that monitors Pull Requests in GitHub. It spits out a static HTML page of the requests workflow status.
> [...]

I won't speak on behalf of Monty Taylor, Jim Blair (or Jay) who are
unfortunately all in limited availability while this anti-Gerrit revolt
is being sent on the ML. Please wait for their reply, which should come
soon.

Not judging on the merits of that particular option, as a PPB member, I
just would like to stress that we voted on having a single set of tools
for core projects, so each project is not really free to choose its code
review tool. The codehosting/codereview set of tools that was recently
chosen is git/github/Gerrit... Glance and Keystone are already migrated,
and Swift, Nova and Dashboard are scheduled for migration. So your
alternative appears to be a bit late.

Though we haven't formally voted on that, I think it's also general PPB
feeling that we shouldn't change systems every 6 months (or every 2
months) just because "something cooler" exists. Switching systems might
not be costly for you, but it's definitely costly for others (the
openstack-ci team obviously, but also release management) -- and we
should all have better use of our limited time.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack