[Openstack] Dashboard Diablo update

Devin Carlen devin.carlen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 21:17:44 UTC 2011

Hey everyone,

I wanted to update everyone on where we've made it so far in the Diablo release.

First off, along with the Keystone project, the Dashboard project has been promoted to OpenStack core, meaning it is now an officially recognized part of the OpenStack ecosystem.

There are a few outstanding things we need to do to fully integrate with existing processes, though we are pretty far along:

* Move code reviews from Github to Gerrit
* Synch up on packaging efforts
* Redouble efforts on documentation
* Pick an official codename for the project

I'll be sending out a list of codename candidates soon for us to decide on as a community. :)

We put a lot of work into Dashboard in the Diablo timeframe.  Some of the highlights:

* uses OpenStack API instead of EC2 API for underlying calls
* full support for Keystone for authentication
* support for managing Swift containers and objects
* support for managing Quantum networks and ports
* support for managing Nova volumes, floating IPs, etc (mostly got feature parity with EC2 API)
* a new look and feel
* new features for sysadmins
* ... and more!

There are three phases to a project's life:

1) make it work (austin/bexar)
2) more is better (cactus/diablo)
3) better is more

I feel that as a project we've fulfilled our "more is better" phase, as in having more features is more important than perfecting each piece.

During the Essex release, we're going into our "better is more" phase.  We'll be focusing on user experience and interaction design and making this project a world class web application.

We'll be talking quite a bit about this at the design summit as well, so we'll look for you all there!

Devin