[Openstack] Git repository for packaging

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Oct 21 14:34:02 UTC 2011

On 10/21/2011 03:16 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 10/20/2011 04:55 PM, Dave Walker wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 03:06:53PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> I've found my way through https://github.com/openstack, and I'm
>>> happy to see that mostly everything is there now. However, I've
>>> found still missing:
>>>
>>> - python-novaclient
>>> - the debian folder for packaging files (there's no branch for that
>>> either)
>>>
>>> Is there any plan to fix this?
>>
>> I'm not sure this is a core project as yet.  Currently it's developed
>> on https://github.com/rackspace/python-novaclient .
>
> Best, IMHO, would be to maintain python-novaclient directly inside the
> nova project, since this way we can do a version depend.

There was a discussion about this at the design summit, and it was
decided against for now because this winds up causing problems for
python depends in pip-based installs. (there is no idea of a source
package creating multiple binary packages in pip, so for people who just
need nova client to have to install nova and all of its depends is
problematic.)

> Also, there's no branch or tags in this repository. How do I get the
> latest stable (Diablo)?

python-novaclient has thusfar not been managed by the project officially.

> On 10/20/2011 04:55 PM, Dave Walker wrote:
>> diablo-stable only opened for business yesterday. [...] Give
>> us a chance, please.
>
> Sorry, I didn't know.
>
>> You are also welcome to propose these patches if it is blocking you.
>
> What's blocking me is only knowing what patch is or not in the github
> stable/diablo branch.
>
> On 10/20/2011 07:43 PM, Chuck Short wrote:
>> Also with the packaging branches they are still located on launchpad at:
>>
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~openstack-ubuntu-packagers
>>
>> For Ubuntu specific nova you can find it at:
>>
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server-dev
>
> What I'm trying to do here is maintaining my Debian packages in Git,
> using git-buildpackage, and then upload to SID. I believe the above are
> maintained in BZR, right? IMHO, it would make sense to switch to
> git-buildpackage instead.

Well... those branches are primarily maintained by ubuntu developers who
are working on packages for ubuntu, so bzr makes perfect sense for them.

We're also moving away from having the project itself maintain packaging
of any sort and letting distro such as you and fedora and ubuntu do that
in the way that you best see fit.

The current stable/diablo branch in the openstack projects is the place
where we're wanting any patch applied by a distro to go, so that you
guys can collaborate on applied patches. If you would like to see the
set of currently submitted but unapplied patches, check out gerrit here:

https://review.openstack.org/#q,status:open+branch:stable/diablo,n,z