[Openstack] Packaging changes based on discussions at ODS

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Oct 18 08:58:10 UTC 2011

Monty Taylor wrote:
> Totally in terms of the decisions and re-visiting it. I think you're
> totally right, of course, in terms of that.

Your initial email used terms like "we are going to", "we will" or "I'll
follow up with implementation details as they happen" which certainly
sounds like it's an already-made decision. I'm a bit surprised that you
come up with these conclusions based on last week's discussions, and
that the existing release team (which is ultimately responsible for
those release deliverables) wasn't asked for comments before coming up
with such a strong direction.

> Here's the problem in a nutshell... I can continue to cut packages ...
> but we don't have anybody dedicated to maintaining the contents of the
> packages that we create post-release. (we only just now even got
> branches for maintenance of the branches post-release, and those are
> really mainly a place for the distros to coordinate)

I think you are conflating two problems, and decide to throw out the
baby with the bath water. One issue is the release packages, the other
is the release cycle PPAs.

We don't really want to do post-release maintenance on packages in the
release PPAs, and therefore they are not really usable long-term as a
production install option. One option is definitely to stop producing them.

I just don't see how you jump from that to "let's stop producing any
packages". We have been producing packages in PPAs for trunk,
milestone-proposed and last-milestone, and those packages are useful.
They are used daily by testers, developers and integrators. They are by
no means an end product, but they have their own value. Replacing *all
of them* by a single trunk pip repository is just wrong. Where will we
call for testing on milestone-proposed ? Where will integrators be able
to easily get the last milestone ?

Those packages *are* used. PPA stats show more than 33k uses for
nova-core/trunk, 350 uses of milestone-proposed and 480 uses of the
milestone PPA.

In summary, I agree we should now question the release PPAs. I don't see
why we should remove all the other ones in the process. And I disagree
with your presentation of the "general consensus" and your
already-decided plan.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack