[Openstack] Creating openstack-dev mailing list

Caitlin Bestler Caitlin.Bestler at nexenta.com
Fri Oct 7 16:30:31 UTC 2011

Leandor Reox wrote:

> How is the rest of the community going to participate or leave their opinion on why some design
> path is going to be taken, or maybe leave their feedback of why an arquitecture change is going
> to be made. Will be an open list ? or just for few ?

> Will be launchapd the only way to interact with "the developers" ?
> The openstack-operators lists, that i thinks is for "usage and implementation" already exist and its pretty abandoned.

There are ultimately three different discussion threads that need to be addressed:

* "Ops" - help forum for users, especially newbies, who need questions answered.
* Design - discussion of new blueprints, evolution of the the project, discussion of performance tradeoffs.
* Nuts-and-bolts development - commits, synchronization of commits, new bug resolution.

Only the last thread would benefit from not encouraging all interested to take part in the discussion.

Given that three mailing lists would be a bit excessive, the question is whether to separate the "ops"
Forum (mostly for newbies) from the other two, or to separate "nuts and bolts" of code production
from the general public that won't be attempting to build OpenStack anytime this week.

My only strong preference here is that design discussions are not steered to forums that are intended
only for those involved in coding OpenStack on a daily basis.