[Openstack] [OpenStack QA] Sessions at the Design Summit

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 14:14:27 UTC 2011

Hi Stack QAers,

There are quite a few folks interested in QA coming to the OpenStack
Essex Design Summit next week. I wanted to give you all a heads-up on
the sessions that may be of interest to you.

Here they are:

Monday, Oct 3rd:

09:30-10:25 - Essex Release Cycle -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/6a56ba48d52da3a46f85699e82097901

Thierry Carrez, our illustrious release manager, will do a post-mortem
on the Diablo release cycle and discuss potential changes for the
Essex release cycle. I know almost all QAers have expressed desires to
have maintenance branches managed by the QA team and I've heard
suggestions about various QA-centric freeze points. Those interested
in advocating for these things should plan to attend this session.

14:00-14:45 - Stable Release Updates -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/ad2f43c3c900a2412e3981b8ea857181

Dave Walker from Canonical plans to outline some possibilities for how
to maintain and update stable releases of OpenStack projects.

15:00-15:45 - Separating API from Implementation of the API -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/66f38d3bb4a1b8b169b81179e7f03215

Total self-promotion of a session I've proposed... I think anyone
interested in stabilizing the OpenStack APIs and having OpenStack APIs
become the open standards for the cloud computing industry should
attend.

16:30-17:15 - OpenStack Compute API 2.0 -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/dc89ee807f4cee6718cda6549b737e3d

Glen Campbell will be leading a discussion about how to improve the
Compute (Nova) API for a 2.0 API series. I think it's important that a
number of folks on the QA team attend this session and get an idea of
the things that we will be looking at in the future regarding the
Compute API. Personally, I'm definitely planning on attending this
one.

17:30 - 17:55 - NetStack Continuous Integration Planning -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/c68faab3984bba3003adfc75a0cb0103

Personally, I will not be at this session as I have another session to
lead. However, I think it is important that a number of people from
the QA team attend this session, listen to the needs of the NetStack
contributors, voice our support for their projects, explain what the
goals of our team are, and enable some cross-team collaborative
efforts around CI and QA.

Tuesday, Oct 4th:

09:30 - 09:55 - Documentation Strategies for OpenStack -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/b4ee36022573ad50b1e23e9788226e84

Anne Gentle will be leading a discussion about documentation of
OpenStack projects. One of the deliverables of the OpenStack QA team
is clearly to identify areas where specifications don't match
behaviour, so I think it's pretty critical that the Doc Team and the
QA team be on the same page when it comes to how to coordinate
communication of documentation discrepancies.

09:30 - 09:55 - VM Disk Management in Nova -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/e9c0baa7a606f320777e04baf531469c

At the same time as the documentation session, Paul Voccio is leading
a discussion about VM disk management in Nova. Those QAers focusing on
disk/volume management may want to attend this session to ensure the
QA team has a good grasp of changes coming in this arena.

10:00 - 10-25 - OpenStack Common -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/4a20ba873ff18cb14eccf0392ba7aff7

Brian Lamar will be leading a discussion on getting serious about the
potential of an openstack-common Python library of common code shared
amongst many OpenStack projects. Hey, it's a heck of a lot easier to
QA code that's in one location than the same code, written with slight
differences, spread across many projects... seems like a no-brainer
for the QA team to attend and support this idea. :)

11:00 - 11:25 - Monitoring in Swift -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/cb1331a198be5ed4920d2ab4eb508a4b

John Dickinson will be leading a session to discuss what things should
be monitored across a Swift cluster, and what tools are available for
monitoring. I think this discussion will be valuable for those of us
interested in long-running production integration tests where Swift is
one of the components of a full OpenStack test cluster.

12:00 - 12:25 - Integration Test Suites and Gating Trunk -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/8477f29c978a90edef7e0fbca5786dc0

A no brainer... in this session we will talk about the various
integration test suites for Nova/Glance/Keystone and discuss the
effort already underway to combine them. In addition, we will talk
about what policies to recommend for OpenStack projects regarding what
level of passing integration tests should hold up a gated trunk.

15:30 - 15:55 - Making VM State Handling More Robust -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/d621cc6cc3bbdc9d8df1a4909d6799ac

Phil Day is leading a discussion about ways in which the handling of
VM state transitions can be inconsistent and confusing. Since the QA
team is responsible for documenting just such inconsistencies and
building tests cases for such inconsistent behaviour, I think this
session would be good to hang around in and listen/take notes.

16:30 - 17:25 - OpenStack Faithful Implementation Test Suites (FITS) -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/787dd036c1a093d52a72274a8f8561ca

Josh McKenty will be talking about certain proposals regarding a FITS
for OpenStack APIs. Should be an interesting session :)

Wednesday, Oct 5th:

09:30 - 10:25 - XenServer/KVM Feature Parity Plan -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/468aa6159fc652d020039092b22ad4c1

This session should be good for those QAers interested in identifying
areas where feature parity between hypervisors is lacking, and
discussing ways in which the QA team can document these disparities
and produce tests for identifying future disparity among hypervisors.

11:00 - 11:45 - Glance Throughput Improvements -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/cc26b70de1216fe4ad405fbcbf2cdf15

This session is being led by Tim Reddins, from HP, who (along with his
team) have done some analysis on ways to improve Glance's throughput.
QAers interested in stress, capacity, and parallelism testing should
definitely attend!

11:30 - 11:55 - Nova Upgrades -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/216ab8d07988c057b3d3a93a074aa365

Ray Hookway will talk about ways that Nova's update process can be
made more robust. I imagine that the talk's recommendations will be
generally applicable to many OpenStack projects, not just Nova. I also
think that some members of the QA team should attend -- we should be
able to create functional tests for upgrade processes for all
OpenStack projects...

14:30 - 14:55 - Git/Gerrit Best Practices -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/564323cb448c852eeeba7b9164e0ee94

Monty Taylor is leading this session on Gerrit/Git best practices. I
recommend everyone go, if only to see the fireworks.

15:30 - 15:55 - Quality Assurance in OpenStack -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/127dd59068e1bab0da6805c3f012fc22

Uhm, duh, you should all be at this one. :) We'll discuss how to
divide the voluminous amount of work among our members, talk about
which projects (and components within certain projects) are
high-priority items, the ways we should communicate and track
progress, etc

17:00 - 17:25 - Internal Service Communication -
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/540ebb9f4e764c8cbfcfb1df49ccd4ad

Brian Waldon is leading a session on internal service communication
that should be quite interesting. The integration testing coverage of
major internal service components of Nova is currently light, and is
one of those areas I think should be carefully picked over by our QA
team.

OK, that's the recommendations from me, but of course, feel free to
attend whatever sessions are of most interest to you. I'm very much
looking forward to meeting all of you (we're up to 28 members as of
this writing).

Cheers, and see you tomorrow!
-jay