[Openstack] Providing packages for stable releases of OpenStack

David Kranz david.kranz at qrclab.com
Wed Nov 30 15:36:14 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 7:59 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:

>> I don't have anything concrete to offer as an alternative, but I'd
>> love to see something like devstack that runs either from git or
>> tarballs and supports multiple distributions.
> For production, we recommend people use packages. I think there's a lot
> of value in using the same installation mechanism for QA as for
> production.

This, for us, is the main issue.  We use devstack for various things but
unfortunately "install from source" is very different from "install for
production", more so in python/openstack than some other technologies.
When we are testing a new build to see whether a problem was fixed or a
new feature is working we just want to change the pointer to the ppa. I
understand that if some source change induces the need for a packaging
change then an auto-created ppa will stop working. It is also true that
creating packages as part of a build process may end up favoring some
packaging system over another. Still, I don't think that is a reason to
force users to have their own  (or, cringe, manual) processes to create
packages that can feed into a test-for-production environment when
jenkins can just do it for a few popular systems.

  -David