[Openstack] Standardizing resource IDs on UUID?

Brian Schott brian.schott at nimbisservices.com
Sat May 28 14:16:33 UTC 2011

I was just re-reading RFC4122 on UUIDs and the different variants:
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4122.html
 and what Python gives you in the UUID class:
  http://docs.python.org/library/uuid.html

We need to decide which variant is right for us.  With the namespace variant uuid5(), it is possible to regenerate the UUID from a namespace and a name.  The namespace could be the DNS of the API service and the name could be a concatenation of the username and a generated instance_id, reservation_id, volume_id, etc. string.  That way, as long as you are talking to the same API endpoint, you can use EC2 style ids and convert easily to globally unique UUIDs internally.  Backwards compatible 1.0/1.1 OS API servers can do the same.

Brian

Brian Schott, CTO
Nimbis Services, Inc.
brian.schott at nimbisservices.com