[Openstack] Conclusion on Pagination (hopefully!) :)

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri May 27 16:00:57 UTC 2011

Thanks all for some awesome input on the pagination thread. I wanted
to summarize what I think were the conclusions to come out of it.
Please do let me know if I got it right.

Proposal:

1) Push the LIMIT variable into the database API layer
2) Ensure that all queries that return a set of results have an ORDER
BY expression to them
3) Push the marker into the database API layer. Continue to have the
marker variable be a value of a unique key (primary key for now at
least). Use a WHERE field > $marker LIMIT $pagesize construct.

I *think* this is what's agreed upon? It's basically the Swift model
with a variation that the order of results is not static (it can be
specified by the user).

Please ++ if that looks good and I'll draw up a blueprint

Thanks!
jay