[Openstack] [Glance] New Glance API changes .. feedback needed

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue May 10 22:52:30 UTC 2011

Hey all,

We've been working to improve the Glance API. The first step to
improving the API, however, is to add versioning to it.

We've gotten a lot of the work done on this versioning of the API (see
https://code.launchpad.net/~jaypipes/glance/api-version/+merge/60130).

However, there is an issue that remains unresolved that we would like
some community input on.

We have a choice of using the following two API URIs:

/v1/images
/v1.0/images

I coded the latter (/v1.0/images) because I was copying the way that
swauth and Nova's OpenStack API do it, but Brian Waldon brought up the
fact that major versions of APIs should never break clients written to
that major version of the API, so there is no real reason to specify
the minor version in the URLs.

I would prefer the shorter /v1/images API, myself.

What do others think?

Feedback appreciated.

-jay