[Openstack] Creating a forum

Jay Payne letterj at gmail.com
Thu May 5 19:42:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Ed Leafe <ed.leafe at rackspace.com> wrote:
> On May 5, 2011, at 2:06 PM, Jordan Rinke wrote:
>
>> I don't see why developers are weighing in so heavily on something specifically for the user community? Many of you have specifically said you wouldn't visit a forum so why do you care so much about what software it uses, or if it even exists?
>

>        I can't speak for others, but I'm not 1-dimensional.

The feedback I got at the Summit from individuals and groups trying to
deploy multiple server environment (dozens of servers) is lacking with
more information and help is requested.  I don't think there are a lot
of individual developers, without access to large company resources,
that are going to stand up/maintain environments of this size and do
operational testing.   There is a growing number of
people/organizations that want this type of information whether it is
delivered in a forum, stackexchange, irc or email list.   I don't
think the medium is as important as just getting it to them in a
clear,concise and searchable manner.

>        While I may be a nova developer, and a dev on a few other projects, I'm a user on a much greater number of projects, and have a good idea of what has worked and not worked for me as a user. I've also gotten feedback from my users on projects I run, and together this experience has formed my opinions.

There is a big difference between helping a developer get an single
server environment up for developing and a company that is deploying
dozens of servers for an on going production environment.

>        As for why I might care, just because some have said they wouldn't visit doesn't mean that no developer will visit. My guess is that a great many will want to, and that number will depend on the form such a forum might take. I also care what the user experience is for a newcomer to the OpenStack community; like other developers, I have a lot of my own work invested in the project, and want it to succeed.

I think everyone in this list and especially on this thread cares a
great deal about the OpenStack project, the community and the users.
It's not necessary to say it.