[Openstack] Location of packaging branches

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Wed May 4 16:18:12 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 06:20 PM, Soren Hansen wrote:
> 2011/5/4 Thomas Goirand <thomas at goirand.fr>:
>> I've tried to start swift proxy-server without using swift-init. One
>> of the reason is that I can't use the embedded LSB messages of it (who
>> knows what the LSB messages will be changed for, one day...), and also
>> because it really doesn't fit the Debian environment. I think it's ok
>> to have a "swift-init" thing (but maybe it would have been worth
>> calling it swiftctl rather than init), but I don't think it's a good
>> idea to use it for init scripts, which is a configuration file, and
>> can be edited by users. So, I tried to run swift-proxy-server using
>> start-stop-daemon, but then I have the following message:
>>
>> root at GPLHost:node3320>_ ~# /etc/init.d/swift-proxy start
>> Starting Swift proxy server: swift-proxy-serverUnable to locate config
>> for swift-proxy-server
>> .
>>
>> Any idea how to fix?
>
> I suggest you take this up on the openstack mailing list.

What others think about the above? Does swift-init even honor standard
return values, so I can give its answer to log_end_msg?  I don't think
using Python "print" function replaces messages that the distribution
can customize. I can see many Unix distributions where it's an issue
already (like RedHat with the [ Ok ] style...). So I have here 2 solutions:

1- Silence out any swift-init messages (using a redirection to /dev/null)

2- Not using swift-init at all (why should I, when there's
start-stop-daemon that does the job perfectly?), but then I must find
out why
swift-proxy-server can't find its config file. That would really be my
preferred way, since that would shorten my init.d script (that wouldn't
need to check for the presence of swift-init, do redirection of outputs,
and all sorts of useless tricks).

If I choose the later, is:

swift-proxy-server /etc/swift/proxy-server.conf

the way to do it, or is there some magic parameters that I missed?

Thomas