[Openstack] Separation of IRC Channels

Michael Shuler mshuler at gmail.com
Wed May 4 12:48:02 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 12:34 AM, Wayne A. Walls wrote:
> I'm not against an #OpenStack and an #OpenStack-dev/whatever, but
> being a non-dev, I pick up a ton of good information just lurking
> and following conversation.  I love eavesdrop for locating past
> discussions, and adding more channels doesn't stop this, just
> spreads out the information (which might be a bad thing in this
> case).  Most importantly, I don't want to have any more chat tabs
> open than I have to :)

Wayne's observation is spot on - users hanging out with the devs and
gaining valuable information by osmosis is a huge reason to leave main
conversation in one location.  Too many times I've seen a split, then
the -dev mantra becomes "that's a -user question, go ask there.."

Additionally, there no zero readability reasons to move to multiple
channels at this time.  At no time since its inception (and sadly quite
the opposite during the summit...) has the channel scrolled faster than
I can read, and at no time is my scrollback buffer beyond when I last
sat down to read the channel.  When it gets closer to #linux in volume,
someone will quietly suggest a conversation move to -swift or some such,
and it will just happen organically.

--
Michael