[Openstack] Instance IDs and Multiple Zones

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at rackspace.com
Thu Mar 24 00:31:20 UTC 2011

(sorry Eric, meant to send to the list)
-S

From: Eric Day [eday at oddments.org]
> Do we want this namespace per zone, deployment, resource owner, or some other dimension?

Good question. We can prevent collisions at the zone level and within a deployment (single provider / multi-zone). But hybrid clusters are a different matter. Regardless of how we delineate it or which ID scheme we use, we have no way of detecting collisions.

In the top-level zones of hybrid installations, all instances.get(id) calls issued would have to assume they could get back more than one instance. Ugly, but perhaps this is just the nature of the problem?

This includes for 64-bit integer, 1-billion per zone approaches ... but so be it.

Let's just get something working.

-S

at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.