[Openstack] Instance IDs and Multiple Zones

Ed Leafe ed.leafe at rackspace.com
Tue Mar 22 18:28:27 UTC 2011

On Mar 22, 2011, at 1:45 PM, Jon Slenk wrote:

> if the schema cannot be changed (which might be worth reconsidering
> since it seems to be a bit of a root cause of trouble) then maybe you
> have to reserve the last 4 or 5 digits of the id to be the zone id,
> and then autoincrement on top of that? on the assumption that there
> would be a limit of 9999 or 99999 zones ever.

	Just to be clear: I would not have been in favor of using integer IDs. However, this was discussed and settled before I was actively involved in the OpenStack code, so I didn't want to have this devolve into a resurrection of what had already been decided. If someone wants to restart that discussion, I'd certainly be interested, but that's not what I'm looking for in this thread.

	The question before us is: given integer IDs, what is the best way to handle the added complexity of multiple zones?

-- Ed Leafe

at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.