[Openstack] GLANCE: How to deal with SQLAlchemy-migrate problems

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:31:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Justin Santa Barbara
<justin at fathomdb.com> wrote:
> Do we have patches for approach #3?

For some things, not all.

> I'm thinking that if we have a few
> specific issues, that maybe we could maintain our own branch and/or
> monkey-patch SA-migrate, and get a better handle on the problem, and the
> upstream's project receptiveness to patches (rather than bug reports).
> It's a bit more work now, but avoids a major change at this stage of the
> release.

I've been struggling with SA-Migrate for a couple weeks now. I'm not
interested in maintaining another package, to be honest. It's my last
option.

> One upside is that we'll hopefully have a better understanding
> when it comes time to write a replacement if we decide to go down that road.
> My experience of SA-migrate was that it seemed powerful, but the
> documentation wasn't worth the paper it was written on :-)  It may be that
> we can fix a few bugs, figure out the "SA" way to do things, and end up
> happy.

By "seemed powerful", did you actually try it on anything more than
simple add a table/drop a table scripts? Did you try it on more than a
single database? Did you use the SQL scripting as well as the Python
change scripts?

-jay