[Openstack] Crazy Idea for API Formats

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Mar 7 13:22:24 UTC 2011

So, isn't that what every client library does, return a native language object? How is this different?

Or are we just saying "let's make a client library for each major language."? As opposed to requiring the user to write their own?

-S
From: Michael Mayo [mike at openstack.org]
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Crazy Idea for API Formats

On Mar 4, 2011, at 10:55 PM, Sandy Walsh wrote:

> Interesting ... do I get back an instance object or just a key/value dict?

I'm thinking an actual instance object.  And we would provide code for that.  Like, if someone was getting instances, they could download my Obj-C Server class and use that.

> Is the attraction not having complex/multi-package client libraries to import?

The attraction is reducing the need to parse data on the client (like JSON does for Javascript developers).  Also, I just thought it would be cool :)

> If the client was: obvious to download, easy to install/update and had a full object model ... would that be better?

That would be nice.  I don't think this is something we absolutely must do or anything; I just thought it would be a very nice convenience for developers using various languages.

> -S

at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.