[Openstack] Entities in OpenStack Auth

Eric Day eday at oddments.org
Wed Mar 2 01:13:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 06:46:21PM -0600, Monsyne Dragon wrote:
>      1) Break CloudServers API compatibility (a total no-no)?
>      and
>
>    No. The value is added to the server management url that is reported when
>    you login. This is how the current Rackspace cloudservers API handles
>    this.

Also, we could treat this as a v1.1 feature only, v1.0 would not
support it. Whatever works best.

>      2) Preclude us from having e.g. multi-project queries (show me all my
>      servers in projects A and B)?
>
>    It doesn't really preclude multi-account queries, if they are needed.  You
>    would be 'logged in' under a given account, but queries could potentially
>    return info based on wider criteria, given user permissions. Also, since
>    the server management url is dynamic (see above) it's easy to change that
>    in the future if needed.
>    .

If nova can efficiently support it, we could also do
/v1.1/user/servers/ with a depth=2 and it would return all servers for
the user entity and all servers for all entities the user is a part of.

>      The options I see open to us are:
>      a) A cookie / header
>      b) A query parameter
>      c) Something in the request body
>      I like (c) because it's the least hacky and is not tied to HTTP.
>
>    Really it's not that hacky. it's basically just nested REST resources.

Plus the extra path element is consistent with how swift and glance
work.

-Eric