[Openstack] Default ports for services

Ziad Sawalha ziad.sawalha at rackspace.com
Thu Jun 23 04:52:27 UTC 2011

Where's the best place to keep track of default ports for services to avoid conflicts? A wiki page on wiki.openstack.org?

We had a discussion while working on Keystone about default ports for OpenStack services (https://github.com/rackspace/keystone/issues/31). We want OpenStack to work 'out-of-the-box' without built-in port conflicts, so we should coordinate which ports new services start on.

At a minimum, we need that for Keystone as it isn't discoverable. Other services can be discovered using the service catalog that Keystone returns as part of an auth request (Sample response below at end of email).

Here's a list of ports we talked about on https://github.com/rackspace/keystone/issues/31
80: Swift proxy server (swift/etc/proxy-server.conf-sample)
6000: Swift object server
6001: Swift container server
6002: Swift account server
6080: Nova VNC proxy
8001: Nova direct API
8080: Swift proxy server (swift/bin/swift-proxy-server)
3306: MySQL
5672: AMPQ (RabbitMQ)
9292: Glance API
9191: Glance Registry
5900...590?: qemu-system for VNC

We've moved Keystone to 5000/5001 (for Service and Admin API, respectively).

Sample Response with service catalog:
{
  "auth":{
    "token":{
      "id":"asdasdasd-adsasdads-asdasdasd-adsadsasd",
      "expires":"2010-11-01T03:32:15-05:00"
    },
    "serviceCatalog":{
      "nova":[