[Openstack] [NetStack] Nova refactoring for Quantum

Sumit Naiksatam (snaiksat) snaiksat at cisco.com
Wed Jun 15 02:27:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

Just wanted to follow up on the discussion in today's NetStack meeting
around the different network interface attachment types to be covered by
the nova refactoring effort.

I had a question on how Quantum gets the information about where a VM is
being placed (so as to configure networking on that host appropriately).
Dan W alluded to a "hypervisor-id" being passed as a part of the
"interface binding". It will be good to understand this in a little more
detail. I believe Dan Dumitriu also has some questions on this, and
Salvatore has some opinions.

It will also be helpful to have an open discussion on the network
interface types we are planning to support for VMs (in the context of
libvirt).

Presumably, there is a BP in the works for this, but Dan Dumitriu and
Salvatore Orlando recommended that we jumpstart a discussion over emails
as well, hence this initiation.

Thanks,
~Sumit.