[Openstack] [Netstack] Questions about Quantum_Framework's extensions

Ying Liu (yinliu2) yinliu2 at cisco.com
Thu Jun 9 21:10:07 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Thanks Santhosh for the great work about Quantum_Framework.

I looked at the code and have some questions.

1.  Extension standard.

In the netstack meeting, we agreed to adopt Openstack's extension
standard. Jorge is still working on the standard draft. I'm not sure
whether this work followed old extension mechanism or Jorge's
presentation on the summit. One extension could be added is "attribute
extension" to existing resources. In our use case, we need to create
Portprofile and later refer it as a port's attribute. With current
framework, we can create "Portprofile" as a resource through
"ResourceExtension". But how does the plug-in know about this extension
and refer the portprofile when the port is created?

   2. Relationship between extension and plug-in.

Extension seems be separated from the plug-in. If we want to extend
existing plug-in, can we do it through extensions' api? How is extension
made aware of plug-in's existence? And how does the plug-in know the new
resources created by extensions?

Best,

Ying