[Openstack] Lunr question and GlusterFS integration

Devin Carlen devin.carlen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:03:52 UTC 2011

On Jun 6, 2011, at 3:17 AM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:59:19 +0000
> Shehjar Tikoo <shehjart at gluster.com> wrote:
>
>> It is not very clear to me whether Lunr will be a replacement for
>> Glance
>
> I don't think so.

Glance is the image store which uses s3/swift api's to store machine images.  Lunr is an effort to take the block volume code that is currently in nova and separate it into it's own more generic service.

>> or will only be used for supporting application volumes.
>
> I'm not sure the meaning of application volumes but it's a replacement
> of the current nova-volume, provinding volume service for VMs.

Yep, exactly.  I believe Shehjart was referring to EBS style block storage, which nova-volume currently provides (and Lunr will replace in the future most likely).

>> If I
>> understand this correct, it is trying to overcome the iscsi-only
>> access method currently provided for creating and accessing
>> application volumes. Correct?
>
> nova-volume already supports non iSCSI protocols, AOE, Sheepdog, Ceph
> RBD. I think that you start working on GlusterFS integration with
> nova-volume right now. You can work with Lunr later (when it's
> released).

Agreed - it seems most reasonable to begin this work in nova-volume and then add support to Lunr when it is closer to being ready for prime time.