[Openstack] nova on Debian

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 21 14:23:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Simon Guerrero wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I've been trying to get an install of openStack working on Debian (sid, for my sins). I figured
> a good start point might be the Ubuntu Maverick guide.
>
> I followed the guide, then the "Installing Nova On A Single Host" guide. I had to make a few
> changes, but it looked generally OK. However, I'm finding nova-compute won't start because it
> gets a "Permission Denied" error, namely:
>
> (nova.exception): TRACE:     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
> (nova.exception): TRACE: libvirtError: unable to connect to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock',
> libvirtd may need to be started: Permission denied
> (nova.exception): TRACE:
> 2011-07-21 15:00:48,808 CRITICAL nova [-] unable to connect to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock',
> libvirtd may need to be started: Permission denied
> (nova): TRACE: Traceback (most recent call last):
> (nova): TRACE:   File "/usr/bin/nova-compute", line 48, in <module>
> (nova): TRACE:     service.serve()
> (nova): TRACE:   File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/nova/service.py", line 290, in serve
> (nova): TRACE:     x.start()
> (nova): TRACE:   File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/nova/service.py", line 96, in start
> (nova): TRACE:     self.manager.update_available_resource(ctxt)
> (nova): TRACE:   File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/nova/exception.py", line 126, in _wrap
> (nova): TRACE:     raise Error(str(e))
> (nova): TRACE: Error: unable to connect to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock', libvirtd may need to
> be started: Permission denied
> (nova): TRACE:
>
> perms on libvirt-sock are 0700, owner root, group libvirt. nova is a member of libvirt.
>
> The command "virsh -c qemu:///system version" works just fine, as both root and nova.
>
> Any ideas what might be going wrong? The only similar log I can find on the net is a chunk in
> pastebin. :-)

Sorry I can't help here.

> I also observed something interesting when creating a manifest for the kernel using a sample
> image:
>
> euca-bundle-image -i images/aki-lucid/image -p kernel --kernel true
>
> I received the error:
>
> tar: s/aki-lucid: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
>
> Looks like it might be a problem with euca2ools. It seems to be taking the path
> "images/aki-lucid/image" and trying to remove the end of it, but doing a rather greedy match on
> "image" and ending up taking out the start too!

euca2ools is fairly old in debian (1.2.1).  I would suggest grabbing the
ubuntu package.  We fixed several issues in it (which are now all
upstream).  Then, you might find that cloud-utils would also be
useful as you can do things like:

- euca-bundle-image -i images/aki-lucid/image -p kernel --kernel true
- euca-upload-bundle ....
- euca-register ...
+ uec-publish-image --type kernel amd64 images/aki-lucid/image my-bucket

(I'm aware that I should make 'uec-publish-image' not contain the string
'uec' and that i should work to cloud-utils into debian).

> Finally, I always get the following warning with nova-manage:
>
> /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/paste/deploy/loadwsgi.py:8: UserWarning: Module paste was
> already imported from None, but /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages is being added to sys.path

That is listed under ubuntu bug 810019.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/paste/+bug/810019
and