[Openstack] Thinking about Backups/Snapshots in Nova Volume

Chuck Thier cthier at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 21:27:47 UTC 2011

Yeah, I think you are illustrating how this generates much confusion :)

To try to be more specific, the base functionality should be:

1. Create a point in time backup of a volume
2. Create a new volume from a backup (I guess it seems reasonable to
call this a clone)

This emulates the behavior of what EC2/EBS provide with volume
snapshots.  In this scenario, a "restore" is create a new volume from
the backup, and delete the old volume.

In the Storage world, much more can generally be done with snapshots.
For example in most storage system snapshots are treated just like a
normal volume and can be mounted directly.  A snapshot is often used
when creating a backup to ensure that you have a consistent point in
time backup, which I think most of the confusion comes from.

What we finally call it doesn't matter as much to me, as long as we
paint a consistent story that isn't confusing, and that we get it in
the Openstack API.

--
Chuck