[Openstack] Physical host identification

karim.allah.ahmed at gmail.com karim.allah.ahmed at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 22:34:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Chris Behrens <chris.behrens at rackspace.com
> wrote:

> Nevermind.  Just found a comment in the API spec that says "hostID" is
> unique per account, not globally.  Hmmm...

This is weird ! I can't find anything in the code that says so !! hostID is
just a hashed version of the 'host' which is set as the 'hostname' of the
physical machine and this isn't user sensitive. So, It's supposed to be a
global thing !

Can somebody explain how this is a user sensitive ?

> On Jul 15, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Chris Behrens wrote:
>
> > I see the v1.1 API spec talks about a 'hostId' item returned when you
> list your instances (section 4.1.1 in the spec).  These should be the same
> thing, IMO.
> >
> > I think you're right, though.  I don't believe we have any sort of
> 'hostId' today, since hosts just become available by attaching to AMQP.
> >
> > - Chris
> >
> > On Jul 15, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Glen Campbell wrote:
> >
> >> I understand that we're all familiar with virtualization and its
> benefits. However, in the Real World, those of us who run clouds often need
> to work with physical devices. I've proposed a blueprint and spec for a
> /hosts admin API resource that would return information on physical hosts.
> However, I don't believe that there's any way for us to actually identify a
> specific server (I'm actually hoping I'm mistaken about this, because that
> would make my life easier).
> >>
> >> So, to get information about a specific host, you'd use /host/{id} — but
> what should go in the {id} slot?
> >>
> >> We'd also like to include this data elsewhere; for example, in error
> messages, it might help to know the physical device on which a server is
> created.
> >>

> >> <signature[4].png>
> >> This email may include confidential information. If you received it in
> error, please delete it.
> >

> This email may include confidential information. If you received it in
> error, please delete it.

Karim Allah Ahmed.
LinkedIn <http://eg.linkedin.com/pub/karim-allah-ahmed/13/829/550/>